Friday, September 18, 2009

Get your (soy) milk here! No cow purchase necessary

As a newly minted freelance-only reporter, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on advice handed down by other colleagues. Like many of my unemployed friends, I try not to get bogged down in the news about the future of journalism, and continue to seek employment (freelance or otherwise) in this field.

While reading Mark Luckie's blog this summer, I was incredulous when he suggested that being unemployed allows to you explore your creativity, and think in new ways. However, Mr. Luckie continued to produce material on his 10,000 Words blog, and was recently hired by the Center for Investigative Reporting's California Watch. (congrats Mark!)

So, like many other reporters (unemployed, underemployed, facing furloughs/job insecurity), I wondered how do I give away my stuff for free? If I do give away my reporting then doesn't it devalue my work? Why would anyone pay me for it if they can get it for free?

But, determined to stay active and involved in journalism-esque pursuits, I wondered what kind of reporting would I be willing to give away? Two hours into an existential discussion with my husband about my chosen profession it came to me--a food blog, called Recession Cooking.

My sister and I tossed around the idea a few months ago, after I had made an apple cake with some less than fresh galas and pink ladies. I have to eat every day, and Recession Cooking is a way to cope with the economic downturn, eat healthy food made from scratch, and share my recipes with others.

And like both my grandmas (and most of my family members) I get intense satisfaction from making people happy with my food.

So please check out Recession Cooking--I hope to post to this blog at least once a week (and if I am a "full-time" freelancer for much longer, it may be several times per week.)

Because the reporter instinct never really shuts off, I'll share a beautiful quote from a conversation I had in July with a nice man at the bus stop in Downtown Oakland. During a recession, he said, "Now is the time to learn about the self. It's about character building."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah! I've learned that if you give a little away for free you can eventually charge for your content. It kind of sounds like a drug deal because it kind of is... the free samples get people hooked.